You know a little bit of these services by Google and now interested in knowing about Google Cloud Storage Nearline Vs Coldline, right?
We all know that backing up data is important. But what happens when you need to access that data after it’s been backed up?
Google Cloud Storage Nearline and Coldline offer two different options for storage that can help meet your requirements.
In this post, you’ll know what is Nearline and Coldline Google cloud storage, and the difference between them.
Google Cloud Storage Nearline Vs Coldline
The difference between Google Cloud Storage Nearline and Coldline is that Nearline is designed for infrequent, but rapid access to data, while Coldline is designed for long-term storage and retrieval.
In addition to this, there are a few common differences between Google Cloud Storage Nearline and Coldline storage.
Coldline is the lowest-cost storage option, and is designed for data that you rarely need to access, but still want to keep.
Nearline is the lowest-latency storage option by Google for data you need to access occasionally, but don’t require the lowest-cost option.
Here are some common differences between the two storage options:
– Access time: Coldline storage has a minimum storage duration of 90 days, and can take up to several hours to become available after you upload data.
Nearline storage has a minimum storage duration of 30 days, and typically becomes available within seconds after you upload data.
– Update frequency: You can only make updates to Coldline data once per month. On the other hand, Nearline data can be updated once per day.
– Availability: Data in Coldline storage is produced to have 99.999999999% durability and 99.99% availability.
On the other hand, Data in Nearline storage is designed to have 99.999999999% durability and 99.9% availability.
– Retrieval time: Coldline storage data can take up to two hours to retrieve, while Nearline storage data can be retrieved in seconds.
– Pricing: Coldline storage is the lowest-cost storage option, while Nearline storage is the lowest-latency storage option.
What is Google Cloud Storage Coldline?
Google Cloud Storage Coldline is an infrequently accessed storage service for data that requires to be saved for a long time at a lower cost.
Data stored in Coldline has a minimum storage duration of 90 days and a maximum of 7 years.
What is Nearline storage in Google?
Nearline storage is a type of storage that is designed for infrequent access. It is typically used for data that does not require to be accessed on a daily basis, but still requires to be saved in a way that is quickly and easily accessible.
Nearline storage is often used for backups or for data that is not accessed frequently.
Google Cloud Storage Classes (A Brief)
Google Cloud Storage has four storage classes designed to help you optimize performance and cost:
- Standard: For frequently accessed data that requires low latency and high durability.
- Nearline: For infrequently accessed data that still needs to be quickly accessible.
- Coldline: For data that is accessed even less frequently, and can tolerate longer retrieval times.
- Archive: For data that is seldom accessed and for which retrieval times of several hours are acceptable.
What is Nearline backup?
Nearline backup is a type of backup where data is stored offline, but still readily available. This type of backup is typically used for data that does not need to be accessed frequently, but still needs to be protected in case of data loss.
Nearline backup can be done using tape drives, optical drives, or other storage devices that are not always connected to the computer.
The best storage solution for a given organization will depend on a number of factors, including the type of data being stored, the frequency with which it is accessed, and the budget.
However, in general, Google Cloud Storage Nearline is a better option for data that is infrequently accessed, while Coldline is a better option for data that is not accessed very often or is not mission-critical.
I hope you have enjoyed the guide of the Google Cloud Storage Nearline Vs Coldline and you have a clear idea about them!
Also Read: How To Get Unlimited Google Drive Storage